|Wet Bottom Shoofly Pie|
In my last post I mentioned a Dessert very well
known to Pennsylvania...
I follow the Blog
and they have featured this Awesome Pie...
the only thing missing in the article is a recipe.
However, If you Google
You'll be sure to get several recipes you can try..
I found this "Wet Bottom" recipe on Allrecipes.com
it is very similar to my Wet Bottom Shoofly recipe...
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- To Make Crumbs: In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and shortening. Cut ingredients together with a pastry cutter or rub with fingers until dough forms fine crumbs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To Make Filling: In a medium bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water. Stir in corn syrup, molasses, salt and egg being sure to stir well. Pour 1/3 of mixture into unbaked pie crust. Sprinkle 1/3 of the crumbs over mixture. Continue this process until crumb mixture and liquid mixture have been used up.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
The pie is excellent served warm with a huge
scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream on top...
Good Food At Dinner