PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, October 18, 2011



It's that time of year...

Warm Apple Pie




 I used three varieties of Apples for this pie...

  • Jonagold apple

    Photo of Jonagold
    A very popular commercial variety, with a good flavor. Inherits many of the good qualities of its parents Jonathan and Golden Delicious.
  • Jonathan apple

    Photo of Jonathan
    A classic American variety, and widely regarded as one of the best flavored with a good sweet/sharp balance. A precocious and productive tree in US apple-growing regions.
  • Cortland apple

    Photo of Cortland
    One of the more successful McIntosh offspring, with all the usual characteristics, including the sweet vinous flavor.


I filled the crust lined pie plate half way full with the three varieties of Apples,
I sprinkled on sugar, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg...
added the second half of the apples making a nice round top with the apples,
sprinkled the same spices and sugar on top, added small slices of butter and applied
the top pie crust.  


I am a very big fan of Egg Washing the top pie crust....
As you can see, I generously washed the pie with a mixture of egg and water.
After the egg wash was applied, I generously sprinkled sugar on top and made three
openings for the steam to escape while baking 
(these openings are also helpful when you need 
to test the consistency of the Apples during baking) 

Baked at 350 degrees for One Hour....
I am pleased with the results of this pie after baking, sometimes the apples shrink during baking
to the point there is a space between the top crust and apples...
This pie stayed true to its form...

Now time for the taste testing....!






1 comment:

  1. I am sitting here with coffee cup in my hand and a nice warm piece of that pie would be delicious. Looks so yummy. I bought apples today to make one for the mister. That crust is to die for. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the visit....! I encourage and look forward to your thoughts and comments. Many Blessings...K