PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, September 20, 2011




Here is my Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Icing, decorated with Hershey's Chocolate Icing
I made to enter in the "Hershey's Chocolate Cake" competition at the local level.  
 
The requirements were very specific, ONLY Hershey's Cocoa Powder could be used in the cake recipe, and at least 1/4 cup measured or more had to be used in the cake batter.  This original recipe was my mother's, one I changed over the years adding more of this and a little of that...I have been asked frequently for the recipe, to which I have declined to share.  The only living person I have shared this recipe with is my Sister In Law in TX, and she swears her cake does not turn out as well as mine...(she really doesn't give herself enough credit!)  So, I though it would be fun to enter my "First" cake competition with my signature recipe..I have made this recipe so often I think I could literally make it with my eyes closed.  I ventured out on Monday afternoon with my Hershey's Chocolate Cake in tow with no high expectations in winning and entered my very first Cake competition.  At arrival I waited in line well over 30 minutes for registration, obtained my personal registry number for the local chapter I was entering in, handed over my cake, listened to the few small details if you place or win and I was on my way....
The Judging was done that very same night as registration, with a bake sale the following morning (this morning) of all the entries.  A First, Second and Third winner is chosen....
I had planned to attend the Fair later this afternoon and thought I would stop where the competition was held to see if I had placed.....when I entered the building it took me a few minutes to scan the room and figure out where the cakes were on display, they actually were dead center in the room, I wasn't able to see them at first due to some people standing at the tables and talking to which I over heard them saying "if the first place winner is unable to compete in Harrisburg at the state level, then the second place winner will compete"....when I realized they were talking about the Hershey's Chocolate Cake competition I walked over to the table and this is what I found...!

I WON FIRST PLACE...!!!!



I had no intentions of having my picture taken today when I put my sweats and comfy jacket on to roam the Fair and get some of that awesome Fair Food!!!  
It turned out the the three people I over heard talking were the Second and Third place winners and a Judge.
We were then able to have our pictures taken together for the local news and papers...

I asked the Judge what they look for when judging, she shared with me that my cake was the third one they taste tested and when she tasted mine she knew I was going to be the winner:)  The judge went on to share the texture of the cake was perfect with no air bubbles and the icing was dead on, also in texture which complemented the cake.  I was in shock..! I think I still am....

It looks like I'm taking my Signature Chocolate Cake to the State Level...
WoooHooo!!

My Mother is telling everyone above she taught me everything I know when it comes to baking..!
Yes, Mother...You did!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the visit....! I encourage and look forward to your thoughts and comments. Many Blessings...K