PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, September 20, 2010

It has to be Granny....

When I think of Apple Pie....

Only one word comes to mind
"GRANNY!"

This for two reasons..
One for the type of Apple (Granny Smith) used in my pie
and Two for the person who taught me how to bake...
Granny as in "My Mother"

My niece being the first grandchild born,
had the privileged rights to name her Grandmother, (my mother) what
would be the name her grandchildren would come to know her as..


As I was picking and choosing the perfect apples from the high, very well stocked bin,
My thoughts were moving faster than lighting thinking how tasty this pie was going to be
on this Beautiful Autumn Day..

 



Deep dish pie plate filled with Granny Smith Apples and Spices
Crust Topping with egg wash

Top sprinkled with generous amount of white sugar and slits made on top for release of heat and steam during baking
Straight from the oven Hot Apple Pie..

RECIPE:
2 (9 inch) pie shell
6 cups sliced apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
One egg

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Place sliced apples in a large bowl. Sprinkle with lemon juice if desired. In a small bowl, mix together white sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg.Sprinkle mixture over apples. Toss until apples are evenly coated. Spoon mixture into pastry shell and place butter cubes on top of apples.  Top with second pie crust sealing the ends together by pinching dough.
  3. Place egg in small bowl and whisk, spread egg wash on top of pie crust with pastry brush.
  4. Sprinkle white sugar very generously on top of egg wash.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes or until top crust is golden brown.
  6. Cool to desired temperature and serve with your favorite ice cream... 
                
This pie did not make it one hour before 
the first piece was cut
              
 Baking Pies is something I very much enjoy doing,

                                   However, I do not do it often enough, though... 
                                  And last evening as I was chatting
                                       away with my cousin on the phone,
                                  My Aunt, (Mother's Youngest Sister) phoned ME  
                                     to ask a question about Pumpkin Pies
                                 I was so honored my Aunt thought of me when
                                     needing directions in baking...
                               Yes..Granny, I was paying attention to
                                       EVERY detail....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the visit....! I encourage and look forward to your thoughts and comments. Many Blessings...K